December 15, 2013

December 16th...

(There are a lot of links below. Please, spend some time reading, especially the ones further down )

December 16th was the day my dear friend, Cindy Feldman - of blessed memory - was born. She pursued life with the passion of someone who knew why she was placed in the world. You can 'meet' her here: Cindy's Curls

December 16, 2012 was the day my grandmother, Fritzi Polovin - obm -  died at 98 years old. (98 Is Great) We weren't exactly done with her, but she was ready to move on. This year, I'll be serving cottage cheese pancakes, chocolate chip cookies, and maybe even venturing to I-Hop for a meal (her very famous and favorites).

December 16, 2013 - The funeral for Superman Sam z"l will be held at Shalom Memorial in Arlington Heights - the same place where my grandmother was 'laid to rest'. Sam had leukemia. I didn't know him. I don't know his mom. I discovered her blog "This Messy Life" and followed it - because her writing is beautiful. She is able to use her words to make you feel life. It was from that blog that I discovered her "Superman Sam" blog and her family's war against Leukemia. 

And, I started praying and hoping. I realize, again, that I have no idea what she or the rest of her family and friends are feeling right now. But Superman Sam's mom writes so powerfully and honestly that you feel like you are a part of her world. Her thoughts and questions, sorrow and bewilderment, hope and strength penetrate to your soul and give you a sense… just a sense. 

She writes and you feel.
You become a part of Sam's life.
Praying for his miracle.

Devastation.

***

We all have our favorite charitable organizations - ones that war against illnesses we wish didn't exist. Illnesses we hope to eliminate from this world. 

We even have our favorite cancer-fighting movement. 

I support Cycle for Survival. This foundation was started by my brother's childhood friend, Dave Linn, and his wife Jennifer Goodman-Linn. She fought sarcoma for seven years. They started Cycle for Survival to raise money that goes directly to research for orphan cancers (making up 50% of cancer diagnoses), including pediatric cancer.

This year, Scottsdale is hosting a satellite location. Please come ride with us on January 12th beginning at 9:00 am at the JCC on Scottsdale and Sweetwater. You can sign up here on the team I'll be riding with:

Team Linn


You get in a workout, and we raise money for cancer research.

My friend, Joy Solon Weber, introduced me to the Pablove Foundation. Pablove is a non-profit raising money for pediatric cancer. Joy's husband, Adam, rides with the Pablove Foundation from the Bay to LA and has already completed the ride this year, but we can still help him reach his fundraising goal : Donate to Adam's Ride 

Just before Thanksgiving in 2010, my dear friend's niece - Lindsey Eyles - battle against sarcoma ended. I support CureSearch in memory of Lindsey and in the hopes that children (and adults) will no longer have to go through what the Eyles family went through and continues to go through every day since Lindsey's death.

On March 31, 2014 - 36 Rabbis will be "Shaving for the Brave". The brave is Superman Sam, and these rabbis are part of the St. Baldrick's Foundation efforts to eradicate childhood cancer by putting on low-cost events in order to give larger sums of money to research and prevention efforts.

On March 4, 2014 - you can participate with Coaches Against Cancer at the Sports Authority in Arizona Mills.  You can shave your head, volunteer, or just donate.

December 16th will stand out boldly from the rest of the year for the rest of my life. This world is broken, and we are charged with the task of fixing it.

Even a dollar will take us closer to finding a cure and eradicating cancer.


I have also been touched by the work of : 
Peach's Neet Feet - From Our Heart to Your Sole
and
Miles 2 Give


1 comment:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.