April 5, 2013

It Can Always Be Improved

Yesterday I observed an increasing frustration when one of my boys was having difficulty hitting a ball (with a shinny stick) that was being pitched to him. A tangle of conflict erupted as I tried to encourage another son to pitch it underhand, making it easier to grasp the concept of 'bat meets ball'.  My pitching son was trying to explain that it was all part of the game and missing the first three pitches was what happened to everyone. But everyone hit the ball on the fourth pitch.

Which is exactly what did not happen on the fourth pitch. This was all taking place as I was trying to get everyone inside, but we obviously couldn't end the experience with a fourth missed pitch.

I stepped in to pitch and - lo and behold - said son hit the ball, whacked it actually. Really well.  Mom's mission accomplished!
Well, not exactly. The moments remained tense as I tried to hurry them along, the pitching son took the scenario and thought I was angry and telling him he was doing it wrong, and - of course - the other son wanted to keep hitting the ball.

Well, that was yesterday.  And this morning, I was trying a new workout. INSANITY. Yes, because I'm insane. I figured you don't get anywhere in the world without kicking butt. So, by kicking my butt with a strenuous physical workout, I would also be able to kick it in other areas of life. Step it up a notch. Not just glide along but make things happen. Overcome fear.  You know.

I did the fit test yesterday and today was my first workout. Son who learned to hit the ball yesterday came in mid-workout. "That looks too hard for you, mom," says he.

Thanks for such a great seque. 

"Well, I responded.  I didn't do as well as the people on the video, and I took a lot of rests.  But, I did my best.  And when I keep doing this video, I'll get better and better.  Kind of like with you and hitting the ball.  You didn't decide not to play (well, you did, but I talked you out of it) just because you couldn't hit the ball.  You kept trying. And you finally hit the ball.  And, then some of the balls you hit and some of the balls you missed.  But, if you keep trying and working at it, you can get better and better.  That is what I am going to do with this exercise."

It can always be improved.
That's my philosophy.

I think it pisses some people off.  After an event or a meeting or an idea brainstorm or anything - I look to see how it can be improved.  I'm not being critical, merely seeking the next step, the way to take it to the next level. This thinking allows me to consider how every individual may have viewed it, how we can reach out to one more person, how we can make the least happy person happier.

This is a mother ever-analyzing herself, always trying to improve, and always knowing what needs to be fixed.

“How noble and good everyone could be if, every evening before falling asleep, they were to recall to their minds the events of the whole day and consider exactly what has been good and bad. Then without realizing it, you try to improve yourself at the start of each new day.”        ― Anne Frank

No comments: