April 21, 2013

Cashews and Dates

Cashews and dates, when soaked, can be transformed into tasteful and magical delicacies.

Mine provided me with a sense of purpose when I saw that I had way too many in my refrigerator drawer.  I soaked them - for almost too long - and then realized I better do something with them.

So, I looked for recipes requiring soaked cashews and I made cashew hummus and curried cashew cream cheese.  I liked the cream cheese so much that I used up the rest of my soaking cashews and made more cream cheese.

I made several of my favorite soaked date recipes - peanut butter cups, chocolate frosting (I thought my children might like but it didn't turn out to be frosting, so I froze it in balls and made cookies - vegan, gluten free and sugar free), and raw 'chocolate chip cookie dough'.

Purpose. In this case, something to take me away from the things-to-do that are bogging me down, sucking my energy, and keeping me way too busy.

I contemplate purpose frequently. I think about my life purpose, and I think even more intensely about the purpose of life.

Especially when there is pain, tragedy, and deep deep sorrow.

"Look for the helpers", Mr Roger told us.  Put more good in the world so we can wipe away the bad.  Peace not war.  Keep moving forward.  When you fall, get back up.

These are all wise and helpful sentiments. And we should. And we do. But those who are directly touched by tragedy, loss, and devastation - it's not so easy for them.  There is much to do before they can begin to put good back into the world.  Grief and healing are permanent, and the world is an eternally changed space.


Devastation and tragedy are not overcome with purpose. Tragedy thwarts purpose.  Finding comfort within purpose is inconceivable.

And, yet, we must "put one foot in front of the other" and find a way to bring good back into our lives and into the world. We must find new ways to live from a place we never thought we'd have to consider. We have to find a way to be in a world that is forever changed.

And while those of us not directly impacted by the loss, or the tragedy, or the utter devastation begin to move forward and do good and help where we can - we are not forgetting you.  We are continuing to remember you - each and every day.  And we pray for your strength and your healing as you continue to wage the battle before you.

May we all continue to take what we have - even if it's just cashews and dates - and transform it into something good.




No comments: