January 29, 2009

What Motherhood Really Is...

Motherhood is a series of peaks and valleys and very rarely do we find ourselves on a plateau. When you have your rhythm down and everything seems to be getting done and you have time for your Self, life is good. Then, suddenly, you realize that you’ve been neglecting something – your passion, your career, your health – and you’re off balance again.

It is a normal part of life, but - within motherhood - it is extreme.

I just called my sister in law and her husband – my brother in law – happened to answer. He is working from home today and was surprised that as he picked up the phone, he heard me saying “Get your jacket and I'll help you put it on.... oh, hi”.

What a mother knows is that as soon as we have a second to pick up the phone and call someone, that second is over by the time the person on the other end of the line answers. We also know the majority of the time we spend on the phone is actually spent talking and responding to our children. “Don’t do that.” “Do you see I’m on the phone? Please wait until I am off.” "What happened? Why is your little sister crying?" "Ellie, get out of the fireplace." "Can you hold on one sec? Isaac hit his head on the ceiling while jumping on the bed."

Motherhood is a unique experience and can only be defined by mothers. I often thought it would be funny to follow mothers around with video cameras all day long. THEN, and only then, you might get a true glimpse of motherhood.

No comments: