March 5, 2008

When Do They Grow Out of the Young Funny?

I haven't written in a while. I posted something that I wrote awhile ago, but I haven't actually written anything new. Does that mean my humorous life as a mother is over? Does it mean my children are no longer cute, delightful and challenging? Does it mean I've been so overwhelmed I haven't been able to think about writing? Or is life overwrought with bad mommy moments I'm too embarrassed to post here?

Isaac (2) likes to say "yay-ha" like a cowboy. He tells me I'm a princess every time I wear a skirt. Oh, and he likes to put on a princess dress and high heel princess shoes and wave his wand around. The other day, he was on one side of the mini-van and I was on the other. I had a dirty diaper that I tossed through the mini-van and out the other door so I could pick it up on my way in. He happened to be playing with a bicycle near where the diaper landed. Right as the diaper flew toward him and landed at his feet, he pushed a "button" on the bicycle. As the diaper landed, Isaac said, "Whoa! That was amazing. I pushed the button and this came."

I told Isaac to blow his sitter a kiss as she was leaving. He leaned in to kiss her, so she leaned i too. And, Isaac blew.

That same sitter was holding Isaac as his mouth was full of food. Isaac was trying to talk and was stuttering, and Amber told him to "spit it out." He did.

Aaron (5... and three quarters) has his own fantastic vocabulary and a great mind. David - my husband - told Aaron that he had the same brain as him - the same chemistry, meaning that they think in the same way and sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes it's not. Aaron asked David to write that down so he wouldn't forget.

Aaron likes to put croakidges (cartridges) in the V-Smile when he plays video games.

The other night, Aaron came into the kitchen and asked me how to spell "do" as in "I do not". I told him and he left. He returned, asking how to spell "not" as in "I do not like". He left and came back. "How do you spell like?" I told him and he left again. He came back once more with a sign in his hand that said "I DO NOT LIKE MOMMY", and asked for some tape and for me to help him hang the sign. (I had said no to something earlier, and he was mad). I did not help him hang the sign, explaining that it was mean and I was not going to give him MY tape to hang his sign. I understood that he was angry but I couldn't help him with the sign. He left the room and returned a few minutes later with a sign that said "I love Mommy" with a nice pink heart next to mommy.

Ellie is 16 months. She has no trouble surviving with three older brothers - in fact, she rules the roost, torments them and can make three of them cry whenever she chooses. Ellie climbs up onto the fireplace ledge as the boys did - but she actually goes in and plays with the soot if we don't move fast enough. She touches the light switch as she watches you approach, and then when you get really close to her, she licks it. She likes to play outside and the second you walk outside, she books down the sidewalk to the street. We have a small child-sized couch in front of our larger couch in the family room. She pushes the small one up against the big one and climbs on up. She climbs onto the little tables too and step stools and storage boxes... and then she grunts until you realize she is calling you because she needs help getting down. We call her Trouble, affectionately, of course, and she sure likes to cause it.

Ilan may be leaving that Young-Funny stage. His innocence is still very present but it comes across in the way he thinks about life. Like, right now, he is raising money for a School Walk for Diabetes, and he wrote his own letter to everyone explaining why he is doing it. He thinks it all through and believes if he can raise his money, then they can get rid of diabetes (if we had enough people who believed that, we probably could).

When he did a book report on puffer fish, he was asked how a puffer fish might get out of a cave or a tunnel if they swam into one. Ilan responded "with their eyes." duh.

Last April (just to show you it's fading), Ilan was eating dinner and said, "Mommy, I think there's something wrong with me."
"What Ilan?" I asked.
"Well," he replied, " whenever I eat a hotdog, I take a bite and I think about it, and I feel like I'm eating very slowly but then I look down and it's gone."
I suggested he start eating two hotdogs for dinner instead of one.

Oh, they are funny! And, I know that I will regret not writing down ALL the funny things they do and say. They each have journals (well, not Ellie - I haven't bought her one yet) and my intention was to write all this stuff down in them. But, I haven't done so in awhile... as you can tell from my Ilan story from last April.

I hope he keeps the Young-Funny for a bit longer. And, I hope I keep the Before-Forty-Brain and remember to write the Funnies down so I can enjoy them over and over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.